Call to the Alliance for the Ambition of Climate Change
More for Climate Change
Chile’s high-level climate champion, Gonzalo Muñoz, published a letter urging all actors (cities, regions, companies and investors) to join Chile’s Climate Ambition Alliance. The invitation wishes to promote plural participation at the upcoming UN CONFERENCE on climate change COP25 in Madrid in December.
At the UN Secretary-General’s Climate Summit in New York in September, Chile announced the ‘Alliance for Climate Ambition’. It brings together nations to improve action by 2020,and to work to achieve net zero CO2 emissions by 2050. It currently includes 65 countries and the EU, 10 regions, 102 cities, 93 companies and 12 investors, all committed to net zero CO2 emissions by 2050.
All must commit to achieving net zero CO2 emissions by 2050, in line with the objectives of the Paris Agreement.
The UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), in its special report on global warming of 1.5 degrees, states that on model routes of 1.5 oC, global net anthropogenic CO2 emissions reach net zero by around 2050. This objective covers CO2 emissions. It also seeks to incentivize sinks (e.g. forests) and other means are used to compensate for residual emissions.
New Alliance members will be announced at COP25
The high-level climate champion letter for Chile complements messages issued last week by THE designated President of COP25, Minister Carolina Schmidt, who similarly invited stakeholders and non-Parties to join the Alliance.
The new members will be announced on Wednesday, December 11 at COP25, as part of a special day of action convened by the Government of Chile.
The intention is to significantly grow the Alliance at Chile’s COP25 in Madrid. This will set the stage for next year’s UN Climate Change Conference COP26 in Glasgow. Where governments must present improved national climate plans.
Learn more about sustainability in our blog
The process of joining the alliance
In his letter, the High-Level Champion describes the following process for joining the Alliance:
- Companies are invited to join ‘Business Ambition for 1.5Cº – Our only future here.
- Regions are invited to join the Under2 Coalition by writing to this email address: [email protected]
- Investors are invited to join the Alliance of Net Asset Owners convened by the United Nations here.
- Cities are invited to join Deadline 2020 by writing to: [email protected]
- Coalitions should be contacted with objectives that exactly match the Alliance’s criteria. There they will have a credible follow-up and validation process, at: [email protected]
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)