More than taking care of the environment
Sustainable development is understood as the business development that manages to meet today’s needs, without compromising, the resources that will be required by future generations.
It strikes the balance between economic growth, environmental care and social welfare. At the Political Corporation we support companies in the development of concrete actions that allow to ensure a future for communities and stakeholders, while companies adopt good practices that allow to combine economic and social development with the preservation of natural resources.
It is clear that man’s activity is negatively affecting the balance of the planet. Many of us are concerned about ensuring that our children have the resources we have today.
Therefore, measures need to be taken to prevent global warming and climate change, there are two types of measures: mitigation and adaptation measures.
Mitigation measures are actions that are aimed at reducing and limiting greenhouse gas emissions,while adaptation measures are based on reducing vulnerability to the effects of climate change.
Mitigation therefore deals with the causes of climate change,while adaptation addresses its impacts.
Mitigation measures for sustainable development
Mitigation measures that can be put in place to prevent increased pollutant emissions include:
- Practice energy efficiency
- Increased use of renewable energy
- Electrification of industrial processes
- Implementation of efficient means of transport: electric public transport, bicycle, shared cars…
- Carbon tax and emissions markets
Adaptation measures for sustainable development
As for adaptation measures, there are several actions that help reduce vulnerability to the consequences of climate change
- Construction of safer infrastructure works and facilities
- Landscape restoration – natural landscape – and forest reforestation
- Creating a flexible and varied crop to be prepared for natural disasters that threaten crops
- Research and development on possible catastrophes, temperature behavior, etc.
- Prevention and precautionary measures (evacuation plans, health issues, etc.)
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)